COSECSA AO Orthopaedic and Neurosurgery Scholarships
Paediatric surgeon for Tenwek Hospital
American College of Surgeons: Opportunity for Quality Improvement Exposure
Supporting Women in Science
Fellowship with University of Oxford or Aga Khan University
Early-career women faculty from the regions of South-Central Asia and East Africa with a commitment to pursue a research career in sexual reproductive health, feto-maternal medicine, perinatal and newborn health and nutrition, climate change, and SDGs will be asked to apply.
A select group of women scientists/researchers and practitioners will be shortlisted for the self-learning training modules.
Call for Abstracts
You are invited to submit your abstract for the upcoming 22nd COSECSA Scientific Conference under the theme “Timely Response to Current and Emerging Surgical Challenges on the Continent“
Deadline for submission of abstracts is Friday 28th October 2022
Improving management of burn injuries
Burns have a disproportionally high incidence in sub-Saharan Africa.
Burns are an important preventable cause of trauma, morbidity and mortality.
Join the Burns Society of Kenya for a national symposium in Nakuru , 1st October 2022.
Training opportunity, paediatric colorectal surgery
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Women for Africa visiting senior research fellowships
Deadline for proposals submission September 30, 2022
The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through the drive of its women, is launching the 8th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growing.
The programme´s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services and technologies having impact on people´s lives.
To achieve this ambitious goal, FMxA collaborates with the Spanish Centres of Excellence, whose prestige is unanimously recognized throughout Spain and internationally, thereby ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields. In this 8th edition our associated research centres are:
- BioCruces Bizkaia Health Research Institute (BC)
- Deusto Institute of Technology (DeustoTech)
- Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC)
- Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
- Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
- Basque Center for Macromolecular Design and Engineering POLYMAT Fundazioa
- The Basque Center for Applied Mathematics – BCAM
- PLOCAN (Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands)
- IAC (Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias)
- Biomedical and Health Research Institute (IUIBS)
- Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona – ICMAB
- Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB)
- Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT)
- Centre for Genomics Regulation (CRG)
- Spanish National Center for Cardiovascular Research (CNIC)
- The Institute of Environmental Science and Technology at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (ICTA -UAB)
- Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
- Material Physics Center – (MPC-CFM)
Each of these centres will host 1 senior woman researcher (ISCIII will host 2) with at least three years of post-doctoral experience for a six-month fellowship. Applications will be subjected to a rigorous selection process, evaluating the academic merits and leadership of the applicants as well as the scientific quality and expected impact of their research projects. Selected candidates will receive training and integration in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly competitive working team, where they will be able to develop their research projects and acquire complementary skills, empowering them to transfer their research results into tangible economic and social benefits.
For more informations
Here’s a list of source text’s that are useful for paediatric surgery. This list is not comprehensive, but its a great start for the early-years paediatric surgeon.
- Clinical Pediatric Surgery: A Case-Based Interactive Approach. Available in both book and kindle versions. An easy to read, narrative based coverage of key topics. Also mirrors well the dialogue-based style of viva voce examinations e.g. FRCS (UK).
- Paediatric Surgical Secrets – Philip Glick et al. Excellent for rapid review, night before prep, etc. Sufficient depth for the early years.
- Essentials of Paediatric Urology 3rd Ed – Edited by Duncan T. Wilcox, D. F. M. Thomas. It’s essential. Just as they said. Essential.
- Operative Paediatric Surgery – 8th edition, Edited By Mark Davenport, James D. Geiger. Comprehensive. Great images. A book shelf essential.
- Holcomb and Ashcraft’s Paediatric Surgery – Now in 7th edition and available online.
- Paediatric Surgery and Urology: Long Term Outcomes – Mark D. Stringer, Keith T. Oldham, Pierre D. E. Mouriquand, et al. A sobering read for surgeons of all ages.